Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Ahmaud Arbery


If I were lynched in the streets
My children would avenge me
The moon with her sling 
The star with her bone
And my wife 
River
With a cauldron
What I mean is
Hands off the black godhood

Because you see
If
We had trapped a white man
Between two cars
And shot him down
No guns fired
I’d be in a black site jail
Until the klu klux klan
Had their grand jury

Instead I put my head
Between two lips
And wait for corona
To take my six times more likely black self
To sankofa
Sankofa, a Black person’s Valhalla

And if you don’t believe me
Believe that for running
You can lynch a Black man
But we won’t stop running
Not when cops say
Drop your skin or we’ll shoot
Not when doctors claim we don’t feel pain
Not when billboards say we don’t father the children we raised
Not when jobs burn the names off our applications
Not when crack blocks are our stimulus package
Not when American flags stretch our necks to pledging
Not when our children are sold, our mother’s confiscated and our backs stripped for a name
Ahmaud Aubrey
Say his name

No comments: