Friday, April 10, 2020

Stations Underground: The Greatest Friday

By Tai Amri Spann-Ryan


Yo your laws
Have passed us over
You call us brothers and sisters
But our ancestors were called a scourge
Disinherited
Dispossessed
Wretched
Betrayed
You fell asleep on our needs
Now the reaper comes
But here
Hear my guilt

There was no way to freedom
So we built stations
Seven in number
Live from the underground
Straight from the sewers
Live from the underground
Straight from the sewers
Live from the underground
Straight from the sewers
Live


Station 1
See my street clothes
Meth mouthed
Track marked
Youth excommunicated
Fire and brimstoned through the system
Pastor’s kid
Abomination
Found family
In non blood
To stay alive and thrive


Station 2
You was my ally
Marched left and right
By my side
But when ICE came knocking
You didn’t know my name


Station 3
If I were to say
There was a priest
Who sells clean souls for a profit
And preys on the young
And a politician
Crying, “Pro-Life!”
For lobbyist payouts
Who’s to say
I wouldn’t get the electric chair
While private prisons get Swiss accounts?

Station 4
I’m purpled
Like a stranglehold
The beating gotten when I don’t follow massuh’s edicts
The beating when I do
The Black girl
8 times more likely suspended than her White counterpart
Wet’suwet’en
Jailed in pipeline legislation
Carlos Gregario Hernandez Vasquez
Collapsing in captivity
Queen Candy
In a hotel room


Station 5
Carried Guadalupe
Tattooed on my back

Carried a cradle over the border
Carried a coffin back

A slave sent
To pick my strawberries
No soap
Just bags to carry

No amount of oxy
Can erase the memory of a child
Separated
I carry the loss
Of 9th great grandparents
Removed
To a southern slaughter


Station 6
In Juarez
There is a femicide
When we think of our own oppression

In St. Louis
All COVID-19 deaths
Were Black

But the news
Won’t show
What’s through the torn veil


Station 7
Women
As usual
Are the ones who see the truth first
That there’s nothing inside
The promises are hollow
The Dream’s infected
Death’s a cycle to life
That when they buried us

They didn’t know we were seeds

No comments: